Saturday 26 February 2011

Slaughterman's Creed advance reviews!

We've been hearing word back from advance copies of Slaughterman's Creed we've sent out and one of the most exciting came from Punisher artist Laurence Campbell who has written the foreword to the book. You can read the whole foreword on Cy's Blog but here's a brief excerpt:

"It’s Stephen Downey, the artist, who I feel so sorry for. This may be because, being an artist myself, I know what he’s going through. You see, people are going to readSlaughterman’s Creed and will be going to the artist saying, “How do you come up with this dark stuff? What goes on in that scary mind of yours?”


And Stephen Downey will say, “It’s not my fault - it’s the writer, Cy Dethan. He put it in the script." 

Advance reviews have been popping up on the internet and here are a few snippets and links to what people have said:

Geek Syndicate:


"The story is a violent one and art matches it but I never found the violence to be over the top. It felt real, visceral and horrible, as true depictions of violence should be. The second thing is this book is for adults in both the aforementioned violence but also in the plot, the themes and the characterisation. "

Hi-Ex blog:

So, all in all, I’d say this book is a bit of a triumph for all involved. With a strong narrative, well realised and rounded characters, strong visuals and a wonderful seam of oh so black humour this deserves to be a hit for all involved. And not turning it into a movie would be nothing short of a travesty.


Everything Comes Back to 2000AD blog: 


I was a big fan of Stephen’s Cancertown art but the improvement between this and that is marked and has me excited to see how his next project looks. Cy’s writing is very tight and the book has a real British cinema feel to it.


There are great reviews on the Small Press Big Mouth and the Sci-Fi pulse podcasts. 


With so many words in this post, I thought I should share another panel from the book:



1 comment:

  1. I read the 12 page preview last night-awesome stuff!! I emailed nic about a pre-order after reading it!

    ReplyDelete