Wednesday 28 October 2009

New toys

Aimee got me some new pens as part of my birthday pressents including a pack of Faber Castell Shades of Grey brush pens which I've had my eye on for a long while.
They're a little tricky at first try, and really thats all I've had time for with so much work on. Here's a very quick doodle just to test how the pens actually look:

The brush tips are smallish (the same as the black Faber Castell ink pens), and dont seem to be made for broad strokes, so it was an odd feeling shading with such a small tip. The ink is also translucent, so when you overlap two shades, it will produce a darker one (as you can see in the middle of the forehead) and because the shade is so clean, I can imagine it being hard to blend and create gradients.
I'll post something more once I've had a bit of practice.

1 comment:

  1. I have a set of these for planning traditional quilt designs and they are great for that. I can imagine they will be a bit tricky for more arty things. Hope you will make friends with them and get them doing what you want. I love mine.

    ReplyDelete